Charles Edward Jones (Charley) was born in Elson, Ellesmere on 17th February 1885.
His parents Edward and Elizabeth moved to Treflach Hall Farm where he was raised along with his brother John Thomas and his sister Jane Elizabeth (Ginney)
After his schooling he was employed at the grocers G & W perks in Bailey Street Oswestry. He was well regarded in the area by colleagues and friends and was like his family a regular member of the Carneddau Chapel in Trefonen and the Christian Endevour Society in Oswestry.
Military Record including Regimental and Battalion Information
Corporal Charley Edward Jones enlisted as a member of the Young Citizen's Volunteers and was assigned to the 14th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles.
The Young Citizen Volunteers (YCV) was formed in 1912 and joined with the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) in 1914 to become its Belfast battalion. Following the conversion of the UVF into the Ulster Division the YCV became the 14th Battalion of the Royal Irish Rifles. Known as the "Chocolate Box Soldiers" because of their immaculate turn out they were recruited largely from Belfast's middle class.
Memorial and War Grave Information
Corporal Charley Edward Jones
17988 Royal Irish Rifles
is buried in Messines Ridge British Cemetery
"HE NOBLY ANSWERED HIS COUNTRY'S CALL AND GAVE HIS LIFE FOR FREEDOM"
are the words on gravestone.
The newspaper article opposite recording his death is from the Border Counties Advertizer dated 4th July 1917.
He is also remembered on the Trefonen War Memorial and on a marble tablet that was originally inside the Carneddau Chapel, Trefonen but is now on the adjoining wall of the graveyard just outside the Chapel. It was moved to its new resting place when the Chapel ceased as a place of worship and became a private house in the 1990's.
Messines (now Mesen) was considered a strong strategic position, not only from its height above the plain below, but from the extensive system of cellars under the convent known as the 'Institution Royale.'
The village was taken from the 1st Cavalry Division by the German 26th Division on 31 October-1 November 1914. An attack by French troops on 6 -7 November was unsuccessful and it was not until the Battle of Messines on 7 June 1917 that it was retaken by the New Zealand Division. On 10-11 April 1918, the village fell into German hands once more after a stubborn defence by the South African Brigade, but was retaken for the last time on 28-29 September 1918.