The photo opposite shows Sergeant Daniel Considine (seated left) with William Shaftesbury Webster (seated right) who was best man at Daniel and Margaret's wedding.
After they were married they lived at 1 Evans Cottages, Middleton Rd, Oswestry
Daniel Considine was born in St Helens Lancashire in 1894. He was one of six sons and two daughters of Daniel and Mary Considine. In the 1911 census Daniel was following in his fathers footsteps as a glass gatherer in a glass works in St Helens but when war was announced in 1914 Daniel was quick to join up in Warrington with the 2nd Battalion South Lancashire's.
Leaving the garrison town of Tidworth in Wiltshire Daniel landed at La Havre on August 14th 1914.
On the 16th March 1916 whilst on leave from the front at the Sacred Hearts Roman Catholic Church, St Helens he married Margaret Emily Dyke daughter of Henry and Sarah Dyke of Hill View, School Road, Trefonen.
Daniel was one of "The Old Contemptibles" as they were known and fought from the start of the war through many battles before sadly being killed only months from the armistice on 23rd August 1918.
His war record does not survive save for Medal Roll Index card adjacent however the battalion war diary records the day he was killed as being " A fine clear day with very little hostile shelling" It then records that the men were to be relieved from duty at the frontline by the Inniskilling Fusiliers from 11pm but as the relief was near completion the enemy launched a strong counter attack. It must have been during this that Daniel lost his life.
Over the three days of that term at the frontline the Battalion had two Officers killed, three wounded, with 18 other ranks killed, ninety one wounded with twenty two missing
click on the link below for further information
Sergeant Daniel Considine
9755 South Lancashire Regiment
is remembered on a number of memorials including Trefonen War Memorial, Oswestry Catholic Church Memorial and
St Helen's War Memorial
Daniel was buried at Locre No 10 cemetary just 10 miles from the town of Ypres in Belgium.
Locre (now Loker) was in Allied hands during the greater part of the war, and field ambulances were stationed in the Convent of St. Antoine.
The village changed hands several times between 25 and 30 April 1918, when it was recaptured by the French. The hospice, or convent, was the scene of severe fighting on 20 May, but was not retaken until first week in July.
Locre No.10 Cemetery is one of a number made by the French troops in the Spring of 1918, but the graves of 248 French soldiers were later removed to another burial ground. The Commonwealth and German graves were brought into the cemetery from the battlefields after the Armistice.
The cemetery now contains 58 Commonwealth burials and commemorations of the First World War. 14 of the burials are unidentified but there are special memorials to three casualties known or believed to be buried among them. Only three of the 75 German burials are identified.